Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 17 - Women's Troubles

Song of the day: Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire
Bonus song of the day: The Office - Ryan Started the Fire


Warning: This entry contains content that may be uncomfortable for some to read.  Continue at your own risk.


Good news:  I'm not pregnant (this was a slight worry).  Not that we don't want to have more kids, but I would first like to lose weight before I start gaining again.


Bad news:  What I thought was the flu was actually my PMS symptoms.  


I had never really had PMS because I started the pill when I was young to deal with acne and how heavy, painful, and often I got my period.  I have tried every kind of pill and I gained 10 lbs with each new dosage, so after Elliot was born I didn't want to go back on anything.  I am not on any real schedule at all.  For the first few months I got my period ever 20-25 days, then it was 40 days, and this time it was 39 days.  Before my last few cycles I would get headaches and cramps, but tylenol typically took care of them, even though I would still feel a little crappy.  These past few days have been horrendous.  Tylenol did nothing for my headaches.  I even took a muscle relaxant and that did nothing.  It was constantly pounding and movement made it worse.  Now, this was partnered with a cold and me getting over an infection because I did have a fever.  All the sudden, yesterday morning it was gone and replaced by serious cramps - which have continued into today.  I've tried heating pads, tylenol, then finally a muscle relaxant, and nothing seemed to really help.  It's ridiculous.  They hurt so bad I feel like I could throw up.  My symptoms have just gotten worse with every cycle, but I really don't want to go on any medication because of the inevitable weight gain.  I'm never the lucky person who can site "weight loss" as a side effect of medication.  On the other hand, I don't know what to do, and I really think that going back on the pill is my only option.  Also, being on the pill prevents any "oops" moments, and I don't have to worry for the rest of the month if I'm pregnant or not.


In news other than my menstrual cycle, I'm feeling much better and cannot wait to get back into working out!  The biggest loser is always a good way to get re-inspired of my goal!  Spoiler Alert: I CANNOT believe those two brothers gained 9 lbs each!  That's insane!  I would have voted to kick them both off the show!  I did get in some strength training exercises with a swiss ball (big bouncy ball).  We got it when I was super pregnant and my back hurt sitting on anything else.  I now put the ball in front of my computer so I get a little bitty work out when I'm on the computer.  Which is almost always.  I also put up the exercise poster it came with in the living room as a reminder of what I could be doing instead of sitting on the couch. Well, I made the last egg for breakfast, and the only fresh food left is asparagus and some potatoes.  I need some more color on my plate, so it looks like we're going to the grocery store today!

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone. Been there done that. I ultimately went off the pill because I couldn't lose weight. I tried six different ones where I gained weight (although the doc told me that was in my head) and had horrible PMS symptoms. Talk to your doc about the ring. I was super skeptical about it but my periods are lighter, shorter and the PMS is pretty much gone. And I am a raging bitch that time of month, so Luke can atest to that as well. When you talk to your doc also see if they won't give you an rx or at least a small bottle of 800 mg ibuprofen. My mother in law is a dr and she says it's ok to take that much as long as you have something in your stomach. Crackers or a small meal.

    You may also want to try Exedrine Menstrual. I'm not a huge pill fan but these seem to work better than anything for me. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete