Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I bet you think this blog is about you.


I couldn't tell you the last time I de-friended someone that I actually know on facebook.  I've tried "cleaning house" on my friends list to delete people that I have absolutely no clue who they are, but I typically get through the first page then I'm bored and just hope that they someday do the same thing and they can delete me.  

I am a facebook over-share-er.  I know this, and really I don't care.  If someone doesn't like it, they can de-friend me or remove me from their news feed if they still want to creep on my page.  Whatever, I'm not updating my status for them anyway.  I update my status for family and friends.  I share when I'm going to spend the day cleaning up Elliot's puke because I want those who care about me to know that I'm going to have a long day and I may not answer their phone calls/texts right away.  I also know that many of them will understand what I'm going through, or at least empathize and say a little prayer to help me through my day  

Today a girl that I have known for at least 10 years posted a status that read something along the lines of, "When I get out of bed I'm de-friending people who only talk about their kids on facebook..."  I put it in quotes just so it's easy to understand who said what, but I am strongly paraphrasing here.  This girl has also posted many times that she doesn't want children.  I totally support her in that decision.  If you don't want kids, don't have them.  Just because you get married doesn't mean that you should have children.  I actually congratulated her on being able to admit this and defended her decision to other people that I know who though she was being rude and dramatic.  Every other week or so she'll post some anti-child, "I thank God I don't have kids" rant, and whatever, that's her choice.  She'll post pictures of women postpartum that have stretch marks (women who took the pictures because they are proud of their stretch marks and what they mean, and want to be encouraging to other women) and talk about how disgusting they are and how she's glad she'll never look like that.  Again, whatever, she can say what she wants, and yeah, stretch marks are disgusting.  Would I trade my children for smooth skin?  Absolutely not.

Like most of her anti-kids rants, she got a few likes, some supportive comments, and lots of comments from people pissed about what she said.  Or in her words "easily offended."  She then ended the comments saying that she was only talking about 2 or so people who post 30 pictures a day of their kids and always talk about them pooping or puking.  At this point I realized (especially given that her morning status was about 30 minutes after I posted mine about Elliot being sick) that she is probably talking about me.  Okay, Kyle travels 4-5 days of the week, and all of our family and friends live at least 2.5 hours away (with the exception of about 10 people).  I post a ton of pictures so they can all see our kids, and I share everything about my day because 1) If they call, they already know what's going on, and 2) I'm a stay at home mom, and my kids are my job.  The most exciting part of my day is when Elliot says a new word or Caroline giggles.  As of an hour ago we were still facebook friends, and I'm assuming that she was out of bed by then, so maybe she wasn't talking about me after all.

Then I realized it didn't matter if she was talking about me or not.  I don't want to see her status updates (whether they are meant to be negative, or "just her opinion") or comments anymore.  It's not worth it.  We're not even friends.  At best we may be acquaintances.  And really, it's probably better for us both that we're no longer facebook friends because I'm going to keep posting about my kids, and she's going to keep posting how she is annoyed by it.  I'll call this a win-win-win situation. 


....and yes, the song reference could go for either her or me... which makes it a double awesome choice as the 'song of the day' :)

1 comment: