Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 212 - Try (almost)Anything Once

Song of the day:  Nicki Minaj - Super Bass


Okay.  So yesterday morning I tried the glowing green smoothie.  It was... okay.  It's one of those things that I really want to like because it's so good for you and jam packed with all these healthy things, but it wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be.  I think maybe if I would have added a little more fruit, it would have been more tasty.  The first problem with the smoothie is that all the ingredients are way too much to fit into either my food processor or blender so I had to do it in shifts.  It makes 2 quarts of smoothie!  Which is way more than I'm going to have in a day, even if I really liked it.  I let it cool in the fridge, then added a little bit of V8-fusion juice and some ice cubes.  This made it drinkable and I finished about 14 ounces.  I'll try some more later today when it's colder.  I also ended up adding the juice from a whole lemon, and I should also say that I used regular produce instead of organic produce.  I think that there is merit in some organic produce (specifically anything that you don't peel first), but I think that produce is a healthier choice to processed food any day, whether they are organic or not.  Also, I wasn't about to spend an extra $2 per item when making something that I'm not sure if I'm going to even like.  And considering how much it makes vs. how much I'm going to drink, I think going with non-organic produce was a good choice.  I think that maybe this smoothie would be better with an extra pear, or maybe a nectarine or peach in it.  I also slipped up a little bit when cutting the lemon in half and cut my finger.  Not fun.


The avocado pesto pasta was really good.  We decided to not use the chicken, so it was just a pasta dish, which made it lighter.  In comparison to the pesto I made a few weeks ago, I'm not sure which one I like better.  I really like the creaminess the avocado adds, but I like more of a basil flavor and the avocado really overpowers the basil.  Maybe adding only one avocado instead of two would give the creaminess without the major avocado taste.  


Yesterday morning I opened up the windows and the patio door.  It was almost cold in our apartment from having the air conditioning on every day for the past month or so.  Also the air was feeling dry and over processed.  In about 10 minutes it was so humid and thick that I felt like I was in a sauna.  Even though it wasn't "perfect weather" it still felt really nice to get fresh air in the house, so I kept them open... for about 30 minutes, lol.  


I was exhausted yesterday.  I napped every time Elliot napped.  I'm feeling the same way today :/  We have a heat advisory from 1-7 today with thunderstorms from 3-7, so it looks like we'll be spending another day inside.  Kyle took Elliot swimming when he got home from work yesterday, and the temperature had finally cooled down a bit, and he said it was actually enjoyable for once.  


For dinner tonight Kyle has requested chicken with lemon-leek linguine.  I think I only have angel hair pasta, but I really like linguine with this meal so I may have to grab some when I get the leeks and garlic.  Or maybe I'll have Kyle get it on his way home depending on the rain, lol :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment