Thursday, January 30, 2014

Warning: don't buy a new scale.

Song of the Day: American Authors - Best Day of My Life

Awhile ago we bought an inexpensive scale, not the cheapest, but by far not the most expensive.  It was made out of "bamboo" and looked cool.  It sat next to our sink and Elliot stood/jumped on it while he brushed his teeth.  This weekend I got a 9 lb difference keeping it in the same place and just changing how I stood.  Super annoying.  So we bought a new, nicer scale.  We got The Biggest Loser one, really just because it was glass, so there's not any give in how you stand on it.  Aaannnnndd, I gained 5 lbs.  I mean not really, but now the scale reads 5 lbs more than it used to.  It kind of makes me feel better that it's the same way for Kyle, lol.  


                
                  Old "Bamboo" Scale
New Biggest Loser Scale

About a week and a half ago I had a massage, I thought it was going to be just relaxation because I felt fine and relaxed.  I was very very wrong.  Everywhere she touched hurt.  She worked out a ton of knots all over my body.  I spent the massage thinking about how I didn't even know what was happening in my own body anymore.  I was completely out of touch with how I actually felt.  That was a huge wake up call for me, something had to change.  On Sunday we went grocery shopping, and I decided I needed to change what I was putting in my body.   

I've started to become much more aware of what I'm eating and how it makes me feel.  I've cut out pretty much all dairy (my general idea is if Kyle can't eat it - he's deathly allergic - I won't eat it), and I severely cut down on processed foods.  Lots and lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and whole grains.  And I feel so much better.  I am still keeping track of my calories, because I do want to lose weight, but I also just want to feel better.  

After the massage, the scale "gifting" me 5 lbs,  and reading this awesome blog written by Katie Lowe, an inspirational woman who is looking more to just improve her life than change her number on the scale, I realized that it doesn't really matter what the scale says, because it's not a reflection about how I feel.  The entry I linked above is about her weight loss progress, but she writes a lot about changing your whole life loving your body no matter what it looks like, and having a positive outlook.  I just love it, and it's helped me not focus so much on what the scale reads, and instead how I'm feeling from day to day.

My old breakfast was a Jimmy Dean Delite sandwich or a Kashi granola bar - pretty healthy (relatively), but pretty processed, and coffee.  Now I've switched it to a smoothie.  My base is spinach and a cup of coconut water, and I add either a banana, apple slices, blueberries, pineapple - whatever piece of fruit I want.  Liquify and yum!  My favorite so far is using a banana and the Coco Cafe - Mocha coconut water (which does have some milk in it, but whatever) with the spinach.  It's delicious!  I still drink coffee somedays, but I don't feel so sluggish without it.  The rest of my day is pretty much the same.  Eating veggies and drinking lots of water or tea.  Physically I feel better, but mentally I feel even better.  It's only been about 12 days, and I let myself eat what I wanted last weekend, but I feel more aware or mindful of myself.  I feel like I have more patience with the kids, and a more positive outlook on the day.  And more energy, definitely more energy.  

Maybe it's all in my head, but whatever, if it keeps me eating healthy, that's okay :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment