Thursday, July 26, 2012

Redefining "Full"

Song of the Day: Katy Perry - Wide Awake

This morning after eating my well proportioned breakfast of a health food "pastry" and cup of non-fat yogurt, I thought to myself, "Well, that was good but I'm not full."  Then I realized that I wasn't hungry either. 

Over the years I have changed the word "full" from meaning satisfied to stuffed, or overstuffed.  I had decided that if I wasn't feeling heavy and slightly sluggish by the time I was done eating, then I didn't eat enough, and therefore I wasn't "full."  I semi-recently read an article about how French parents teach their children about food.  One thing that really stuck out to me was that instead of asking their children if they "are full" they ask if they "are still hungry."  It's amazing how one little word can change the entire meaning of a concept.  Even though I was a little in awe of this revelation, it obviously didn't change my thinking because I still ate until I was past full for the next few months.  But this morning, as I was reflecting on my own level of fullness/not-hungry-ness, I remembered those words.

So yes, I may not be "full" but I'm not hungry either.  And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment